Wednesday, November 15, 2023

How I Chose The Novellas For My Collection


I'll admit, I didn't give it a lot of thought. When the idea hit me yesterday (!) that I should bundle some of my novellas into a standalone collection, I went with my gut.

I chose New Kaitlyn because it garnered a four-star review. Shadow Song is a personal favorite, mostly because I enjoyed writing the hapless defense attorney character. The Diner Girl is my latest and I'm proud of it. It has sold zero copies to date, but it's damn good. As for Second Chance, I like that one. It has humor (the band breakup scene is legendary) and I'm sad no one has yet sampled it.

Thinking back on these stories, I'm almost itching to write again. It's a shame, really, that I'm the only one who knows how good my tales are. I think I'm gonna fire up my Kindle and actually read them again. 

I can't suddenly conjure up readers. I wish I could. I wish I could achieve some measure of validation other than that one awesome review. Nobody in my circle even knows that I write, and I'm going to keep it that way. The last thing I need is suspicious praise. I have my pride. My friends would tell me everything is great, my husband would offer "helpful" tips. Neither of those things would do anything but puncture my pride. I guess I prefer to bask in my own limelight for now. 

Even if you keep your writing a secret, even if nobody lays down a couple of bucks to download your latest masterpiece, know that you ~ you! ~ are a good writer.

I know you are, before I even read your writing. 

Because I know that I am.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment