Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Authors, Please Do Your Research!


I may only have a seldom-visited author site, but the self-publishing tips I've included on it reference well-established companies only. True, I've recently revised my tips to remove some sites that, while well-known, are not the most responsive or customer-friendly.

But the worst offender I've since removed is a site that offers "book marketing tips for self-published authors". I'm not going to name it here, because I am just an average, everyday person who does not want to be harassed by a cult. Suffice it to say that the site is all over Google and is even prominently referenced by other legit (as far as I know) bloggers. The site offers guides and courses and videos, and I've actually read many of the guy's articles in the past and even signed up for his mailing list...

...which was what led me to become suspicious. The man who (he says) is a venture capitalist, software developer, blah blah blah, presents himself like some egalitarian advice-giver to independent authors. But his most recent email (which caused me to unsubscribe) talked about how a publishing company (which is a well-known front for a notorious cult) asked him to write a new book description for a crappy science fiction book that was made into an even crappier movie. He was "honored" to be asked. Oh? He also stated that the book is one of his all-time favorites. Is it actually anyone's all-time favorite, except for people who were probably forced to read it? And he's all over the net offering high praise for the book's (late) author.

And if he doesn't work for this "publishing company", did he bother to do any research on it before accepting the assignment? I'm thinkin' it probably would have raised some red flags. 

I detest being fooled. I never had reason to question this guy's credentials. If he'd just kept his big mouth closed, his site would still be listed in my self-publishing tips. By all means, if you think his advice helps you, rock on. Just know that you can find the same or better info elsewhere.

And believe me, I will never recommend a site or a company again without doing my due diligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment