Saturday, December 23, 2023

Why Do Writers Write?

 

Writers can tend to be self-reverential. Really, writing is no better or different from any other talent ~ we just talk about it a lot. Ever build a house? Try it. Are you a master plumber? I was once related to a plumber, but he didn't go on and on about the clogged drain he snaked out last week. Maybe we writers elevate ourselves too much (when we're not lashing ourselves for being utter failures). 

I know I quote that one author who shall remain nameless (I guess that's not exactly "quoting", is it?) a lot, but on this week's podcast he talked a bit about the purpose of a writer. He posited that it was to share our vision with the world and/or impart our "wisdom". And also that it doesn't matter whether you have two readers or two million; just that you are writing what you believe, or something like that. I'd have to go back and re-watch to get the exact wording.

I really like this guy and I know he truly believes what he said, but I don't know which writers he interacts with, because I dispute everything he said about writing.  

Number one, I have no wisdom or vision. I don't even have an outline. I'm not trying to impart any truths; just entertain. Isn't that what most books are meant to do? I've rarely read a book that imparted anything to me, except a pleasant use of my time. I don't quote passages from books. In fact, most of the books I read are almost immediately forgotten.

And it does make a difference to me if I have two million versus two readers (I have closer to two), because I'm not rich, so I don't have the luxury of saying that. I would like to make a decent living from writing, but I would like a lot of things that'll never happen. My point is, that pronouncement easily slides off the tongue when you have two million readers. 

So, okay, wise guy, you may ask, why do you write? I write because that's what I do. I don't know any other way to explain it. I'm not working on my book today, yet here I am, composing this post. It's what I do. I like words; I like the combination of words to express something (something non-wisdomly). I don't think it requires an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment