Friday, February 23, 2024

As The Novel Turns



It's coming together. If you've been following my journey, you know that I'm trying to rescue my badly-executed second novel by turning it into a novella.

I definitely had gaps to fill. Turns out, they're fillable ~ a sentence here, an expository there. I managed to turn a faceless boss into the semblance of a real person without elongating the thing. The main character's ex-fiance still needs work, but his essence is slightly better now.

This is turning out to be a longer process than I'd anticipated. I spend more time re-reading than I do editing. I haven't even checked the current word count, but it certainly seems long for a novella. At least longer than my novellas. 

My main barrier is the urge to give up ~ out of boredom. I still think the piece is salvageable, but every time I sit down to tackle it I have to start reading from the beginning (because I've lost track). 

But I've come this far, so I'll see it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment