Sunday, March 10, 2024

Starting Is The Worst

 


I enjoy a writing project once I get into it. But, oh, getting into it! I wanted, needed, to start a new story. After the last month or so of cutting and pasting and rearranging my second novel into something resembling a presentable tale ~ pure torture ~ it was palate-cleansing time.

I didn't want to start. I kept rationalizing why today was not the day. Maybe I should think about it more (except I don't plan my stories); I don't have a good opening line. Tomorrow I will be fresh (I won't). 

I decided I'd just open a new document and format it. That, I could do. 

Well, maybe I could put down one line. Some kind of opening. It'll probably reek, but there'll at least be a few words on the page.

I typed out the first paragraph. Went back and changed it. The words I'd used were banal. They're always that way when I start out. I don't immediately plunge into "creative mode". I have to warm up a bit. 

Ultimately, I wrote 1,290 words. That's not many, but it's enough. My main character doesn't even have a name yet. I've established setting. I now have a picture of her new home in my mind. 

I can take it from there.

Whew!

I love writing. I hate starting writing. If I was to surrender to my laziest instincts, I'd never write anything at all. 

And honestly, I don't know that it would be any better if I did have a story in mind. Starting a story is scary. 

Here's my mental logline for this one: She (unnamed character) buys a rundown motel.  

I'll let you in on a secret: That's all I ever start with. 

In Lies and Love, Drea lives in a small town in the shadow of Mount Rushmore

New Kaitlyn: Kaitlyn moves to a small town to head up a new branch of her company.

The Diner Girl: Carrie works in a diner.  

Second Chance: Leah's band breaks up.

Shadow Song: Ashley gets a job at an amusement park.

It's actually amazing that I built fully-formed stories from that. But see, that's the fun of it. I may not know this new character's name, but I know some things are going to happen to her. I'm thinking there won't be any murders or fires, but who knows? Circumstances go where they lead. Honestly, if I had the whole story planned out, I just wouldn't do it. I've already told it in my head. I know what happens; how it ends. 

Being a discovery writer is exciting; surprising. I can't wait to meet all the characters who'll cross no-name's path. 

I understand that plotters surprise themselves, too. I can't imagine that they strictly adhere to their outline. But that's just not me. I'm not good at shaping a story from start to end in my head. All I ever have is the start. And as life does, it takes off from there.

Despite all my protestations, I now have a start.


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment