Tuesday, April 9, 2024

An About-Face


As evidenced by my previous posts, I've been upset and disappointed in the meager word count of my current novella. Even as recently as yesterday I was ready to take the plunge and publish.

But yesterday's post also contained a nugget of inspiration. I mentioned an unseen character whose story could, in fact, add not only words, but more importantly heft. And I think I've discovered a way to do it that would be interesting ~ to me. "To me" is very important, because I have to feel inspired if I'm going to write.

I'm a little trepidacious about it, because it will change the story a bit. I'll need to work it into the already-written narrative. All I can do is try it. If it works, it'll make a more interesting story. If it doesn't work, I'm back to square one. 

While the manuscript, as is, is "fine", it's certainly not a blockbuster. Not one part of it was exciting to write; not even the catastrophic event. My strength is in writing relationships, and this new relationship sounds fun, albeit ultimately traitorous (which is part of the fun).

I may have accidentally stumbled upon something that'll keep me writing. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment