Monday, April 29, 2024

How Do Authors Make Their Newsletters Work?


My newsletter goes out today, and I almost didn't send one. I have no good explanation for why I'm continuing, other than that boredom drove me to compose it.

Don't get me wrong; there is nothing of value within it. I didn't even plug any of my books. I will say for the benefit of anyone reading it, this month's edition is mercifully short. 

I think, too, I have a weird personality quirk, wherein I feel bad or guilty quitting. I was always a terrible quitter. I even stayed at jobs I hated, even though I'd occasionally get so fed up that I'd search out new positions, but when push came to shove, I stayed. I did quit one job, ironically the one I enjoyed the most, because of an interpersonal dust-up. I allowed emotion to drive me, and only later realized I'd made a big mistake. So, no, I am loathe to quit.

I'm fully aware that no one, and I mean no one, is breathlessly awaiting my next email. A few will open it; nobody will engage. I'll get a few unsubscribes, which does not bother me in the least.

This month's has a (very) short blurb about my in-progress novella; you know, the one I may never finish. I also left in the link to click for an ARC copy (as if). And a little secret between you and me ~ every time I've held a giveaway or offered a prize for completing a quiz, no one has entered, so I just make up a name for the previous month's "winner". I feel like I have to acknowledge that I offered a free book and I don't want to look like a complete loser. A little white lie is like an author bio. It's okay to embellish.

It seems that most indie authors send a newsletter. Some even claim they produce results. I'm skeptical. One has to be a devoted fan in order to engage with an author, to excitedly await next month's missive. Are there really people like that?

Before I sign up for anything, I ask, "What's in it for me?" Much as I would love to be a profligate spender, I have limited funds, so every decision, whether it's a book ad or a music subscription has to provide value. Too, my time is currency. Even something that's free can't be a waste of my time. I'm not a diehard fan of anything anymore ~ the years tend to do that to a person ~ but if I did ponder subscribing to someone's "news", it would have to be worth my while to read. While it might be cool to read about an artist's or a author's latest release, I'd still have to lay out money if I really wanted it, and that's assuming I really wanted it. Why can't they just give me a free copy (cheap people may ask)?

Free stuff is really the only reason one might bother reading an author email in the first place, but even that hasn't worked for me. It's not that my open rate is bad or even subpar. I'm right up there in the average of about 22%. Yet nothing ever comes of it.

I would be interested in reading other indie writers' content, just to learn what they might be doing right, but I would have no idea how to even subscribe. Whatever it is they're doing, I'm too ignorant to figure out. 

I keep telling myself I'm going to stop, but the next month rolls around and that "no quitting" gene starts nagging me. I wish I could make it shut up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment