Thursday, May 2, 2024

Book Descriptions


I recently realized that I'm much better at writing descriptions for my books than I am at actually writing the books themselves. Every so often I'll surf over to my author website (someone has to do it!) and peruse the book page. As I read the descriptions I think, "Wow, that sounds like a really interesting read!"

Trouble is, the better the book description, the worse the book is. I think what happens is, I start out with an interesting idea, but I meander from it. "Why don't you outline, you idiot!?"

That's why my best novellas are the straightforward ones. I was thinking back to Find My Way Home and the scenario of a teenage girl in 1969 running away from home on the night of the moon landing. Nice interesting concept, right? It could have been. The first one quarter of the book was, in fact, pretty good. But eventually it turned into something else, then something else again, and in the end, it was a mess. 

My worst writings all point to that issue. That's sort of what's occurring with the one I'm writing now, and I need to pull myself back before it becomes Find My Way Home II.

I guess, on the plus side, if anyone needs help writing a book blurb, I'm quite good at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment