Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Rolling With The Flow


My new method of keeping my manuscript open while I perform other tasks is proving successful. I only add tidbits to it on non-writing days, but it keeps the story fresh in my mind, allows me to consider various possibilities, and, as it turns out, it makes my writing days much more fruitful. I already know where I'm heading, so I don't have to sit and ponder. 

I'm a terrible judge of my own output, but it feels like yesterday was very prodigious. I threw in a bit of foreshadowing, but (hopefully) not enough to give things away. I'm rather proud of how I accomplished that. 

An added bonus to "working on the story" on off days is that when I do sit down for a three-to-four hour writing session, I'm not frantic to spill out thousands of words. This story will get done sooner or later, no matter how slowly I plod along.

The new document I created and titled, "Additions" is turning out to be my primary manuscript. Granted, the first quarter of the original is fine, but the rest of the story has completely changed. Ideas are great until you find a better one. Sadly, Dear Old Dad hardly appears in the new version, but maybe he can show up later. 

Someone on Reddit was bemoaning the fact that most books don't flesh out secondary characters fully ~ back story, personality ~ but to me a secondary character only exists to advance the MC's story. And personality is revealed through their interactions with the MC. My secondary characters are pretty unique, actually. I love writing them. But it's not their story. 

I've never, ever taken this long to write a novella. But against all odds, I'm kind of enjoying it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment