Friday, July 26, 2024

All Kinds of People


Rather than avoiding my reviews as I vowed to do, I've decided to embrace them. I don't have many, so it's but a blip in my day. After my two-star review from the other day didn't thrust me into the depths of despair, I decided to take a look at the two (!) reviews I have on BookSprout. 

I've come to realize that reviews are all over the place. Even the same review can be all over the place. I've never been accused of being verbose before; au contraire. But one reviewer said my first scene was. She then went on to praise Inn Dreams, but ultimately gave it three stars (so, she considered it "okay", I guess). The second review was a five-star ("I loved it"), yet the reviewer pointed out ways the book could have been better.

So, reviews make no sense, which is why authors shouldn't be afraid to read them. Nor should authors try to decipher them, because it's not possible.

I do know that a well thought-out critical review can be helpful. Even the five-star I noted above contains food for thought. I don't have any writing mentors or beta readers, so I take my lessons where I find them. 

It really doesn't pay to be afraid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment