Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Having Fun Writing, But...


As I trip along my merry way, I'm having a blast writing vignettes about my MC's adventures in her new life. I wrote two fairly lengthy scenes yesterday involving her immersion in uncomfortable circumstances. Admittedly, I enjoy writing an MC's discomfort, because it's relatable and because it opens so many possibilities, especially for things to go horribly wrong.

But while I'm having fun, which is now my main pursuit, this story still has to be cohesive and actually go somewhere. And here I'm struggling.

Frankly, it's like two separate stories, the one I originally wrote and now this. I've debated whether to actually mark it as Part 1 and Part 2 in the final formatting. A novella doesn't have chapters, but the way things are going, this one almost begs for some demarcation line.

Once I committed to my MC falling into this new life, I subconsciously let the old life go, but the underlying truth is that she ultimately wants to go back. Even the "fun" scenes I've written are, yes, fun for me, but they're mostly demoralizing for her, which feeds into her longing to return home. So in that respect I suppose I'm sort of advancing the story.

I have interspersed some phone calls to people in her old life, but those scenes are short and just kind of inserted because they should be. And I might be a touch delusional, because even though she left town without a word to anyone, all her old friends are just fine and dandy with that when she calls to apologize. At least they act like they are. Realistically, at least one of them should be pissed off.

For now, my main character is allowing herself to be swept along, which, when you think about it, probably does happen when a new artist signs a record deal. They're naive and so they defer to other, more savvy industry veterans, whether they like it or not. 

It's going to be a challenge to piece it all together in the end, but I'm not going to think about that right now. I intend to stay on this path a while, simply because I'm loving it. 

If it all comes to naught at the end (I don't believe it will), this is the first time in ages that I've had fun writing.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment