Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Day One of Not Looking


Ingrained habits die hard. There are several sites I browse first thing in the morning, and in a specific order. Having an established routine comforts me. Every day for a while now, one of those stops was Goodreads, but that site is now prohibited. Truly, I wish I could delete my account, but the rats won't allow that. So much for free will, I guess. It seems we're all owned by the internet. Even deleting a now unpublished book is impossible. I asked Goodreads' "librarians" nicely. No go, which is really stupid, considering that its link is now dead. My only option was to revise the book's summary to read, "This title is no longer available."  Goodreads is very authoritarian. Another reason to hate it. So my only recourse now is to stay far, far away from it. Other authors have noted that, if you want to sink into a deep funk, read your Goodreads reviews. Every company's culture is like that; the culture reflects the man or woman who leads it. "Well, the boss is a jerk, so I guess I can be a jerk, too." It's not just me. I read a lot of self-pubbed authors' posts on Reddit, and there's a consensus that the place is rotten. It's really best not to get involved with it in the first place.

Too, while I never made a habit of checking for Amazon reviews, I still did so from time to time. Generally, I found no new ones, but with the all-out push I did for Inn Dreams, I was curious. No more. I won't check again. My nemesis, the teacher, didn't exactly copy her Goodreads review to Amazon word-for-word; she made the Amazon one even worse. I have no further need or desire to check Amazon for sales or reviews. Inn Dreams has been successfully bulldozed by the snakes migrating over from Goodreads, so what exactly would I be checking for?

So, I've managed to free up a few minutes of my time each day. Who can't make use of more time?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment