Monday, August 19, 2024

One Scene


I spent four hours yesterday writing one scene. Too much? How did it happen? No, I didn't type and revise or delete and start over. The scene is just that long. And it's not even a pivotal scene.

If I was able to do that with every scene I write, just think how long my novels would be! 

I don't know how it happened. When last we left off, the main character and her band were waiting around to start their set at the out-of-the-way bar her label had booked them into. The problem was, the opening act just kept playing, and it kept getting later and later. When MC finally flagged down the bartender to ask what time they'd be going on, he hadn't a clue what she was talking about. The band onstage was the featured act. 

Okay. Now what?

She didn't take the time to ponder who had messed up, but it was most certainly the record label. Her main goal was to get out of town. The only motel anywhere near had been booked up when she tried to rent rooms, and the clerk sent them back to a farmhouse where a man had an extra room he sometimes rented out. The place was, let's say, subpar. Creepy, even. Now rather than spend the night in that house of horrors, she was determined to get herself and her little band of travelers out of town.

But, oops ~ snow was now coming down like crazy. She polled her companions as to whether they should suck it up and bunk at the farmhouse or try to make it to the next town. They all couldn't agree, so she made the decision that they'd stop and get their luggage, then head out. The roads were treacherous. Other cars leaving the bar were beginning to skid, and one even back-ended another vehicle. Still, her drummer swerved around the crash and they continued on their way. They didn't make it. Their car slid off the road and they had no way to get it unstuck. Thus, they had to walk all the way back to their rented room.

Of course, that's just the abridged version. Lots of things happened, much character weakness was revealed. For one, the cocky guitar player was in actuality a wimp. He even refused to help dig the car out of the snowbank, claiming his cowboy boots were too slippery, so MC had to jump in. She and the driver tried the few means they had available to dislodge the car, finally resorting to laying the guitarist's gig bag down for extra traction. That didn't work, but it had the delicious result of ripping the bag to shreds. 

On their long walk back, MC came to several realizations about the people trudging along with her. Mostly that they were useless, except for her drummer. Two of her companions hadn't even been smart enough to pack for winter weather. 

What did this loooong scene reveal? Essentially, that MC was pretty much on her own. 

I haven't decided yet if I overdid it. It felt natural as I was writing it. You know, one thing led to another and to another.

When I ended, MC awoke to find she now had laryngitis, and there were still eight dates yet to play. I don't know what'll happen next. She might give up and ditch the rest of the tour, or the group will find that the snowstorm was bad enough to close all the roads and they're stuck anyway. Oh, and cell service is knocked out. 

I still want to find a way for the guitarist to get into trouble, and being stuck might be the impetus. I'm picturing him partying with the creepy homeowner and somehow landing in jail. It's not that I hate the character ~ okay, it is. I don't know why, but it feels good to see him suffer. Maybe he's a metaphor for...something.

It occurs to me that I've gone off the deep end and lost the theme, but I don't even know what the theme is. Or if there is one. Right now it feels like I'm writing a serial. Tune in again next week to find out what trouble our hero finds herself in!

I would laugh, except for my goal of publishing, it's actually not funny. I think my best bet is to just keep writing for the joy of it. Face it, to even get this manuscript in shape for publication will be a Herculean task. And with long scenes like this, one that won't happen until sometime around 2030.

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment