Thursday, October 17, 2024

Can a Book Never Have Boring Parts?


I didn't get much writing time in yesterday; two hours max. Writing a novel in tiny bits is not ideal. If I stumble upon an interesting plot point, it's time to quit before even fleshing it out. Additionally, having only a couple of two-hour sessions each week leads me to lose the thread of the story.

Yesterday I needed to do some housekeeping, write a transitional scene. While I try to make my exposition at least interesting, every scene can't be exciting. My MC wasn't exactly doing, so much as she was summarizing where she happened to find herself. She was penniless, jobless, hopelessly in love, and those important points needed to be covered. Yes, I like the scenes in which things happen as much as every other reader, but I've read plenty of books that have quiet passages, and they're fine as long as they don't go on too long. 

So, to address those three issues, I had her consider options for making money and ultimately discarding the few ideas she came up with as being unworkable. She finally applied for the opening she'd earlier spotted at a coffee shop. That's not going to solve her money issues ~ she has to pay back the advance she'd gotten from her record label when she signed her contract. Since her then-manager drained the trust he'd set up for her, she pondered filing charges against him, but she hit a dead end at every turn. It was a desperation move to begin with; one she knew wouldn't succeed, but she spent some time dealing with bureaucrats by phone before accepting defeat.

With her lost love interest, she almost calls him (she ruminates over the many times she's wanted to), but her phone rings just as she is finally tempted to do so. I haven't brought him up as much in the story as I should (this will be fixed in editing), so it was important to weave him back in. 

The call is from her mentor, inviting her to accompany the star to an awards show. MC demurs, asking whether she wouldn't prefer to invite the man who'd visited the mentor's bus while they were on tour. The star is perplexed and even says that the man's wife wouldn't appreciate that. Then she makes a joke about a "threesome". This is the first time MC is disillusioned with the woman and is disgusted by what she perceives as her affair with a married man. So she declines the invitation.

(Just between you and me, the star's relationship with the man is not romantic.)

And that's where I left things. So, half dull, half interesting. Ultimately, she'll accept the invitation, which will require some research on my part regarding the atmosphere surrounding awards shows. Could be interesting. I might even be able to bring back some characters of the (recent) past.

I'm okay with the boring parts, because things will pick up. And if readers (so-called) choose to skip over them, so be it.



No comments:

Post a Comment