Thursday, October 10, 2024

What If No One Visits My Author Site?

From time to time I check my Google Analytics, and the stats for my author site are underwhelming. I think the average time a visitor spends on it is something like 37 seconds, so to me that means that someone either clicked on it or pulled it up by accident. They can't wait to exit. Realistically, there would be no reason for anyone to visit ~ my sales numbers certainly don't generate buzz, my (very) sparse social media posts are ignored. The only explanation for any visitors at all has to be "oops". 

I would like to get visitors, but I don't understand SEO at all, and the articles I found are too complex for a novice. So, scratch SEO. There must be other ways to drive visitors. Aren't there?

Overall, my site is pretty basic. I think I've overdone a few things, like the number of reviews I post. I probably should just pick the review I like most and use that, or maybe two reviews per book at the most. I think I was so thrilled to receive any reviews at all that I wanted to brag about them. 

I've also skimped on some areas. I don't have a profile pic, for one, because I write under a pseudonym, so posting my picture would defeat the purpose. I use a free image of a woman in silhouette, shot from behind. She's framed by trees and water, and the mood is right for what I want to convey. I suppose my bio, too, could be more "personal". One article suggests that an author list their favorite whatevers ~ music, books, etc. ~ but I worry that my personal tastes are too niche and might be limiting. Plus, favorite books? I'm kind of lost there. "Currently reading" might be more appropriate. Who wants to know about books that are four or five decades old? The article advises providing links as well ~ reciprocation and all that ~ but thinking a famous author is somehow going to reciprocate is laughable.

I dipped a toe in the waters of trying to generate interest in my in-progress novel by adding little snippets of the plot in my blog section, but I don't know if I'm supposed to be pasting passages from the manuscript or simply providing hints of what happens in the book. It's kind of hard to isolate provocative passages to post, since that's not really how my writing works. It's the whole that matters, not a paragraph here and there (plus, who'll get anything from out of context scenes?) I'm sure there's a right way to do that; I just haven't found it yet.

I've lately realized that my Blogger-configured website is limiting. I'm not going to suddenly migrate over to a paid hosting site, because number one, redirecting a domain name is nigh impossible ~ I tried it before and gave up, which is why my nice "dot com" name is now a "dot net". I couldn't get my dot com domain to transfer over and had to buy a new domain name. Also, Blogger is too free-form. I'm presented with a blank page and need to figure out how to make it attractive. Or at least professional. Maybe I need the structure that a web hosting site provides. That, unfortunately, isn't in the cards (see above).

My home page ideally should spotlight my most recent book, or at least my most popular one (which one would that be, exactly?) 

I'm not doing myself any favors with my current layout. I'm smart enough and creative enough to build a better site; I just became complacent. Now, with little going on, I need to spend some time making it better.

 

      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment