Friday, August 14, 2020

Back Story (Flashbacks)

 

 
I have a difficult time telling a story without flashbacks. We are the sum of our parts, after all. 

In previous novels I leaned too heavily on back story. I was not judicious, but I'm learning.

Literary agents who actually requested fulls of my previous manuscripts told me that the flashbacks were too confusing within the context of the story, and as one said, "I got bored and started skimming."

On the other hand, if one tells a story that's too sanitary, the reader will not relate to the main character because he or she cannot connect with the MC's motivation.
 
Here are some tips I've learned:
 
  • Cause and effect -- real time events (a "trigger") -- should conjure flashbacks. The flashback should correlate to something that is happening now.
  • The flashback should affect how the reader sees the story. Otherwise it's filler; a word inflator.
  • As an author, ask yourself why the flashback matters in the context of the story.
  • Don't let a flashback take the reader out of the story.

If you've already written long flashback scenes, try breaking them up and inserting them into relevant passages in the story. Some of the best scenes I've written are back story. It breaks my heart to carve them into pieces, but the advice is sound. I'm working on doing this now, and trust me, it works. I'm not wild about slicing some of my best writing into tiny chunks, but give it a shot. You may surprise yourself; and you can always put things back the way they were if you hate it. You don't have to lose any of your wondrous wordsmithing.

Two approaches to including flashbacks:

  • Add a chronology tag ("two years ago")
  • Use white space separation

I am long past believing that successful writing is a matter of simply composing. Whether you are seeking an agent or planning to self-publish, ultimately you want eyes on your novel.


Give it a try and let me know how it works out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment