Tuesday, September 29, 2020

"That"

 


 

Do you overuse the word "that"? I have to catch myself because it seems natural, but it's a superfluous word and actually interrupts the flow of otherwise poetic prose. I was composing a post on my music blog, Rich Farmers, tonight and found myself sneaking the word in:

"Even when George Strait hit his prime, his albums were a collection of chart hits and songs that he liked."

The words stream so much better without the filler word:


"Even when George Strait hit his prime, his albums were a collection of chart hits and songs he liked."

It's natural to slip "that" in, because we tend to want to mimic natural chitchat. Someone wrote once that dialog in a novel is not the same as casual speech. We want to sound realistic, but as novelists we need to strive for a higher plane.

"That" is an extraneous word I try to avoid -- or delete as I re-read my prose.

What is your downfall? The word you have to backspace and erase? I'm getting better at "that" because I'm cognizant of it, but I probably have others I've yet to discover.

Watch for and be mindful of fillers.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment