Monday, September 25, 2023

Not So Easy

 

I'm not so sure what I've gotten myself into, nor whether this new project is worth pursuing, In my previous post I talked about publishing a book of essays gleaned from my music blog posts. While it's true that I have over a thousand posts, it turns out that a lot of them are silly, or have no connection to music whatsoever. My blog was my refuge from the world and a forum for writing about whatever happened to be clouding my mind at a particular moment. (I could publish a whole separate book about past career woes and another about Covid lockdowns.)

And the music posts that are actually good are peppered with music videos, which I introduced as "watch this" or "...like this one" or "this is one of my favorites". That really doesn't translate to book form. My intent when I started this project was not to pen new compositions. It was supposed to be a one-off, a fun diversion from novel writing. Instead I've managed to stress myself out. At this point, it won't be a book; it'll be a booklet. 

Turns out I like the writing process, not the drudgery of compilation and revision. It also turns out that, sans the music videos, a lot of these posts lose their punch. In my defense, I dashed most of these off on a weekend evening, when I just wanted to kick back. I wasn't aiming for profundity. 

Bottom line, this might magically come to fruition or it might be tossed into the gutter like a worn rubber boot. 

I haven't yet given up. If you know me, you know I'm not a quitter.

I just need to hit upon the answer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment