Wednesday, December 20, 2023

On Writing Again


I haven't yet decided whether I enjoy writing again or not. I spent about three hours on Sunday and a couple of hours today on my new project, and that's about all I can tolerate for now. It doesn't help that I haven't yet discovered the meat of the story ~ it's all just disjointed scenes at this point. It's not that the writing is bad; words flow rather naturally by now. But, truth be told, I'm just not feeling it...at least not yet.

Maybe part of the problem is that I've settled into a "type". That could be a good thing for fans, if I had any. They'd always know what to expect from me. But it's not a good thing from a writing standpoint. It becomes too samey. 

I don't want to write to form. There's no challenge in it. And when there's no challenge, I become bored and quit. 

But the fact remains that I want to do at least one more novella. I've established the characters ~ two that are (or will turn out to be) bad people, one who's not fleshed out yet, but will probably have a future in the story, and one ancillary character whose issues drive my protagonist. Time will tell if the story turns out that way or if events will take an unexpected turn. 

Right now I'm feeling the way I felt when I ran out of songs to write. I need a shot of inspiration. It could happen. It hasn't yet, but it could.

Now is no time to rest on my non-existent laurels.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment