Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Recommendations


My author website (that no one but me visits) has a page of self-publishing tips. If anyone ever does land on my site, they'll find them. I haven't revisited that page in a long time, because the narrative is quite long. I do recall copying and pasting it into Word once so I could rework it and group the different categories more efficiently. Then I pasted it back into my site. Well, what do ya know? It didn't retain any of the links (of course), so when I clicked on it the other day, every link took me to the Blogger landing page. "Cool". What a dunce. Now I'm glad no one has perused them. Yesterday I went back line by line and fixed all the links (I couldn't find some of the sites I'd originally linked to, so I had to delete them). 

But along with stupid me having to fix everything, I also removed some of the recommendations I'd originally listed. The truth is, some of those sites have since disappointed me. I still offer a few options I no longer use. They're not bad sites; they just haven't been useful to me. But I have removed a few whose services have since proved to be misleading, poorly managed, or simply aggravating. I am well aware that I don't get any site visits, but if I ever do, I don't want to be seen pushing businesses that'll tick people off and sully my reputation.

If you've read any of my posts, you can probably guess which enterprises have been scrubbed from my list. And I will continue to call out the bad ones as I discover them. I found another marketing blog that is somewhat interesting, but nothing like David Gaughran's, and this newly discovered blog has a lot of advertising from businesses she "recommends". Call me suspicious, but I don't place a lot of trust in a blogger who's taking money from the sites she's pushing.

But, as you can see, I have no advertising. (Who would be dumb enough to advertise with me?) So I have zero vested interest in pushing anybody. I'm just going to call 'em as I see 'em. If a business does well by me, they get kudos. If they screw up royally or lie to me, well...

By the way, my self-publishing tips can be found here.  

Addendum: I also removed the attributions I had been asked by various people to include. My new policy is, buy a book and I'll include your tip. My site is for e-commerce, not affirmation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment