Thursday, December 7, 2023

So I Scrutinized The Substack Site

 

...and I'm more confused than ever. I even Googled my primary question and I found a blog that was just as bewildering as the site itself. Hmm, what does that tell me?

First of all, the site is way too busy. It contains lots of headings that mean nothing to me, and when I clicked on them, my initial assumption was correct ~ they mean nothing. From the many headings that ask me to "chat" or "refer", etc., it seems like it wants to be a social media site, rather than a publishing platform. 

My rather simple question (that the above-referenced blog didn't address) is, if I create a post, does it go out to everyone on my mailing list? Or can only subscribers to my Substack view it? 

I promised in my first welcoming email that I wouldn't spam anyone. But if I want to send a welcome to only the second group of email addresses that I uploaded last week, will that email (or post or whatever the hell it is) go out to everyone? Or to just the new people? As far as I can tell, it didn't go out to anyone. But if I create a new one, will I now be spamming the first group of people? I'm doomed either way.

I've thought about (trying to) send a post/email to my entire list and apologize if I spammed them. But that would just look pathetic. 

Anyway, I'm not creating another post anytime soon. The one author I've subscribed to seems to send an email every other week, and the other author has yet to even send one, after two months.

Right now my best idea is to find a free subscription management service, import my list of subscribers, and start over. Then shoot that Substack account into oblivion. And pray that the new service is understandable and actually works. And as for those couple of Substack subscribers? I'm sorry; I truly appreciate them supporting a nobody like me. But I just don't know what else to do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment