Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Manuscript Progress


Before I deleted my previous session's output, I thought it best to read it. Something could well be salvageable. It turns out it wasn't that bad. I'm keeping it for now, but may end up inserting it into a different section of the manuscript. 

Instead of obsessing over that, yesterday I fleshed out my ending. It's not perfect, but I think the story is essentially "done". I ended up with roughly 19,000 words, which is decent. I still have plenty of work yet to do. As I noted, I'm not completely satisfied with my ending, and there are other housekeeping chores to complete. 

My feelings toward this project are mixed. I began re-reading it from the start and it feels a bit rushed about three quarters of the way through. That happens sometimes when I (finally) know where I want a story to go and I'm in a hurry to get there. Re-reading it was like playing a podcast at normal speed, then suddenly it shifted into 5x. Obviously, that will need to be addressed.

This will be my tenth book, and "good enough" isn't good enough. I will need to be completely happy with it before I even think about publishing. So, while it's theoretically "done", it's not really done. The first draft is done. But as with all my projects, I am proud that I did it. I am never confident that I can, which is the big reason I always hesitate to dive into something new.

Completing this first draft gives me confidence that my writing pursuit will continue.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment