Thursday, January 25, 2024

No Photos Allowed


Are most authors so self-confident that they relish putting themselves out there? I hate (hate!) it. I write under a pen name, primarily because I don't want anyone I know to accidentally discover me and buy one of my books out of pity. They'll probably hate it, but lie that it's "great".

My website has a royalty-free photograph of a woman in shadow instead of an image of the actual me. I was always the one to take pictures of family, so there probably exists only four or five photos where I am the subject. 

The other day I was reading an unrelated article (probably about newsletters) and it mentioned author pics and linked to a couple of posts on the subject. Of course, my immediate reaction was, well, I don't have any. Then I got to thinking ~ Kindle Create has a space for a photo in the author bio section ~ and I began to wonder if I had any that could possibly be edited to make them presentable. I found exactly one possibility. It's not a pic of me "now", but rather from fifteen or so years ago, but it's decent. And what difference does it make if it's not current? It's not as if I'm going on a book tour. I'll just be sitting here in front of my computer where no one can see me. 

I think some readers like to know what the author looks like, so what the heck? They can have a postage stamp size photo of me that's a bit blurry, but it really, truly is me. 

I've reached a milestone ~ This is the first step I've taken to reveal a part of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment