Sunday, March 17, 2024

Slowest Progress Ever


Something is wrong with my new story and I'm not sure what. It could be as basic as the premise. Or I'm not connecting with my main character. At this point all I know about her is that she's impetuous, naively so. I'm not exactly charmed by writing a dumb character. Worse, as clueless as she is, she's taken on a huge project, one that I know nothing about, so I'm constantly Googling "how to..." and "how much does it cost to..."

The premise sounded interesting at the start, but after yesterday's writing session, she's barely begun tackling the job she willingly signed up for. I think I'm subconsciously delaying. 

If I was a reader, I wouldn't have even pursued the story this far, because nothing is happening, really, except for background. 

Having never run into this problem before, I'm beginning to suspect that I simply came up with an unwritable concept.

Oh, the words are fine. The writing is good. But I could probably write a "fine" story about my alarm clock. That still wouldn't make it interesting.

Truly, with as much exposition as I've spilled onto the page, this should be a novel, not a novella. A really dull novel, but nevertheless...

It's rare that I ponder where a story should go. On non-writing days I seldom even think about my in-progress manuscript. When I sit down to write, the story flows organically. Just the fact that I'm going to need to think about it is a bad sign. Apparently, like my protagonist, I'm pigheaded, because I don't want to give up on this. I just need to figure things out. 

I'm convinced that my downfall was revising my novel. I'm in a completely different zone that I can't shake myself out of. 

Still, I'll stick with it...for now. Let's just say that I'm quite disappointed in myself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment