Wednesday, June 19, 2024

The Problem With ARCs


Don't get me wrong; I love getting ARCs in the hands of readers, and as far as I'm concerned, an author can't have too many ARC readers. I frankly would be just fine with a thousand. What else am I going to do with my book anyway?

One factor that should be taken into account, though, is timing. Inn Dreams goes live on Monday, so maybe I didn't send my ARCs out too soon, but it's a crapshoot. Human nature being what it is, how many readers will even remember to leave a review on Monday, if they're inclined to leave one? I tend to forget about books once I've read them. They're not like a good movie or even a compelling TV episode that you might rerun in your mind. Prolific readers are already on to the next book. My one enthusiastic reader has assured me that she will post a review on Monday, and I believe her. So, that's one.

With a regular-length novel an author has to provide for lead time and also take into account that ARC-ers might be currently in the midst of reading a different book. While Inn Dreams is a long novella at 34,000 words, that's still far short of a standard novel. There is a fine line of demarcation for when to distribute ARCs. Too early before publication and it's unlikely anyone will remember to leave a review. Too late and you've blown any new release buzz you might have gotten. Recently, a Reddit poster stated that he sent ARCs out six months in advance (!) Don't do that. 

I suppose, like everything, use your own experience as a guide. How long does it take you to read a novel? And if you finish reading it even a mere week before publication, do you remember to leave a review? 

If your book is already published and you're giving away ARCs simply to get reviews, then fine. Timing hardly matters.

One other note about ARCs: With Lies and Love I asked my volunteers which format they wanted. Half of them never responded. Now I only offer epubs ~ take it or leave it. I won't mess with the back and forth anymore. Most paid ARC distribution sites go with epubs, so I do, too. I was too eager to please the first time around, but as authors we have to remember that we have some agency in the process.

I do believe in ARC reviews, but I'm also a realist. Most ARCs won't result in reviews, and if you're okay with that, then carry on.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment