Saturday, June 22, 2024

Which Way To Go?


Now that I've established my hook to make Second Chance actually readable, the main character has a decision to make. Saying yes will lead her down a very unfamiliar road, but saying no would define her core principles. A third option would be for her to say yes, then later discover that no was the better choice, at which point she could turn around and head back down the "no" road. That's fraught, though. It's not realistic for her to expect to be welcomed back.

I know which way she should go; which one makes the most sense thematically, but it might be fun to show her miserable with her "yes" choice. (And gosh, I wouldn't want to foreshadow the ending ~ see "bad review" in previous post). 

A crazy thought struck me ~ that I could write it both ways ~ and either see which one works the best or offer an "alternative" version as either a freebie or a newsletter extra. I'm not a gimmicky person, but the idea is intriguing. (Apparently I'm not the first to consider this, but reactions have been negative.)

I suppose I'll choose the safe route ~ OR ~ she could briefly go with the unsafe route without anyone knowing and return shortly thereafter. That would eliminate hard feelings, but on the other hand it would look like the MC is "settling" because her first choice didn't work out.

Damn, looks like I'm stuck with my original thought. Maybe I can make it interesting.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment