Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Story Progress or Lack of It


It's logical to expect that my latest writing session would have advanced the story. That would be wrong.

I really hope people like long, pointless stories. Not really; I'm sure (?) all these words will eventually point to something. The entirety of yesterday's session was comprised of the main character's mini-tour of nightclubs in Texas. I'm not sure why I chose Texas, or more accurately, why her label did. I'm just going with the premise that Texas is a hot spot for music and the label wanted to ensure maximum exposure. 

Thus, we got to meet her touring musicians, who aren't integral to the story for the most part, but they had to be there, so I strove to give them personalities. Also, I wanted to portray the reality of being stuck in a van with a group of near-strangers. Thus, one of the guys simply won't stop talking. Another is older and seems to have a solution for each little problem that arises, though he doesn't offer his solution until it's clear that no one else knows what to do. The third guy, at this point, is pretty colorless. All I know about him right now is that he can fall asleep anywhere, anytime.

So far, MC has only played one club date and already things are falling apart. Too soon? According to the story, the group still has seven more dates to go. It's evident the label is testing her endurance, which accounts for the dates being booked hundreds of miles apart. 

I realize today that I made one logistical mistake, which I'll need to go back and fix. Aside from that, I left off with MC calling her manager, infuriated (mostly due to lack of sleep), and things between them will most likely come to a head. 

Rereading will tell whether I actually made any true progress. What I do know is that this is no novella; it could turn into a full-length novel, which was not my intent. I'm no longer concerned that the story is taking so long to write. I have no deadline and nothing else to do.

Unless I want to scuttle the first iteration of the story, which I don't, Second Chance will definitely be separated into two parts, because it's really two separate stories. All this sounds crazy. Maybe it is. Or maybe it's just crazy enough to work.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment