Sunday, October 13, 2024

Experimenting


When I was thinking about starting a newsletter, I did some research on the types of content authors include in theirs. "Sample writing" came up a lot. I never followed through on that because pasting a snippet of my work into a newsletter would be so out of context, it would confuse readers more than it would enlighten them. 

But as you know if you've been reading along, even though I've given up on the idea of a newsletter all together, I'm doing my best to enhance my author website and drive more visitors. I'm still unsure how that happens, regardless of my lovely revamped site. My Google Analytics report leads me to believe that most of my visitors have stumbled upon my site by accident. Still, there's no harm in trying.

So, after talking about my work in progress in my "news" section, I decided to paste in one short scene. It's a pretty benign one, but it does introduce my favorite supporting character. I guess in my dreams I hope that if I keep revealing more about the story, people will want to come back for more spoilers.

Not to be cynical, but nothing I've tried to date has worked, not just with my website, but with everything associated with my publishing endeavors. This probably won't work, either, but trying isn't going to kill me. Prior to my website revamp, nothing ever changed on it. The only additions I ever made was posting a newly published book, and considering how long it takes to write and edit one, those postings happened rarely. Who wants to come back to a site that never changes? 

Since I'm rarely writing nowadays, I need to do something. Shoot, by the time I finally get back to my novel, I'll have lost the thread of the story. 

I don't want to overdo it ~ I want my site to look clean ~ but even I was bored with things the way they were before. At least now I'm semi-interested in it.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment