Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Where Do Avid Readers Go?

I know avid readers exist; I've dealt with a couple (not always in a positive way), but the internet has managed to eliminate a lot of previously prolific readers. I know; I used to be one. Look at it this way ~ before the internet, there weren't a ton of things for someone to do in their free time. TV was as dull as it is now, plus there was no way to skip those irritating commercials. One of my big pleasures was taking a trip to the library. I put myself on the wait list for the best sellers in a quest to broaden my reading horizons, plus I dug into the shelves of biographies. I wouldn't call reading a time filler, but most off-duty pursuits were essentially that. Reading, at least, unlike TV, engaged one's brain.

Once the internet matured (trust me; at the start it was extremely limited. AOL, anyone?) a new time filler was born. While I still read books, I didn't read as many. Now any news I want to read is a click away (which also sort of killed TV), and social media allows me to interact with people, or to at least read what other regular people have to say. I've read maybe one and a half books so far this year. A book has to hook me or I won't say with it.

For those who are still avid readers, my hunch is that Goodreads is their go-to. Apparently those readers are not simply content reading a lot of books, but they want the world to know just how many they've read, and Goodreads lets them keep a tally. I fervently dislike Goodreads. There are many reasons, from their "librarians'" intransigence, to their author groups that are populated by the most inane people on earth. Most of all, the place cultivates an culture of meanness. I'm no Pollyanna, but neither do I go out of my way to be negative (this blog notwithstanding). A visit to Goodreads leaves me gloomy, which is why I refuse to go there anymore. Its air is heavy.

I had a feeling that LibraryThing was like a rich wine ladies book club, and I was correct. Its groups consist of faux-sophisticates and are blatantly political. No thanks. Members also apparently only (say they) read the classics or only form groups around them.

(By the way, today was the first day I logged onto LibraryThing since my giveaway, and sure enough, Inn Dreams has no reviews.)

So, I guess there is no "happy" place where avid readers gather. Or else everyone is just crabby in general. Interacting solely with other writers gets repetitive. Indie writers are the most negative of anyone; even their "advice" is sour. I would love to know what actual readers have to say. That's what would help me. That might inform my writing ~ what people like, what they dislike. What causes them to not finish a book? What type of characters turn them off?  

A place like that would provide real value to an indie writer. Of course, the stupid authors would ruin it by spamming everyone with ads. But if everyone behaved, it could be a two-way conversation. Authors could remind reviewers that while critical reviews are fine and often helpful, personal attacks are devastating. They could remind readers that authors are actually real people. 

Alas, there isn't and likely never will be a place like that. So I'm back to Reddit... 

 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment