Friday, July 2, 2021

I'm Guessing It's A No?


I severely underestimated the number of queries I sent out for my current novel. I thought I'd sent about thirty. Apparently one night in a fit of frustration I cast caution to the wind and sent a bunch. I vaguely remember doing that.

Today I opened my Excel sheet to check my outstanding queries. There are fifty-two. Fifty-two.

Since I haven't received responses from those fifty-two agents, I'm going to go ahead and assume I never will. Nice business practice, by the way. I'm okay with those who clearly state on their site, "if you don't hear from us within _____, consider it a no." What is harder to comprehend is the difficulty some agencies seem to have creating a form letter they can simply shoot off to rejected queriers. 

Nevertheless, I still remain closed to querying, except for three publishers I took a chance on. These houses don't require an agent, so I had nothing to lose.

My plan remains to self-publish in about a month, since I'm not expecting any positive responses based on past experience.

I frankly will be thrilled to close this chapter.



No comments:

Post a Comment