Wednesday, February 21, 2024

I Forgot About Substack


It dawned on me that I still have a Substack account. I abandoned it when I found a better newsletter provider. Substack's interface is pretty dry. The posts (or "notes") are stark ~ no bells and whistles, which I guess signals that the author is a serious writer. Lots of well-known writers use it and make money from subscriptions, so I suppose they don't want cute little images attached, which I find invaluable (just look at all my blog posts). I think an image conveys the feel of the prose to follow; sets the tone. But I digress. What I'm saying is, I'm not a good fit for Substack. I logged on today and scrolled through a few of the featured posts. I'm out of my element. Yes, I know there are regular people posting there, too, but I don't know why.

Today I pondered if I could use Substack for...anything. I at last discovered that one can write a note and not send it to anyone, which is a relief. I'm not looking to send out anything other than one newsletter each month, and I'm not even crazy about doing that. But maybe I could just shoot the breeze, like I do here. I do still have three subscribers. I mined one of my previous blog posts, removed the snark and pasted it up. I've got a couple more in mind that I could use if I decide to keep posting (or "noting") there. 

I admit, doing it is rather embarrassing. But nobody knows me, so, what's the difference? 

I even slapped up a short blog post on Goodreads, but that was more of a promotion than actually saying anything worthwhile. It's weird, but I feel like if I sign on for something I have an obligation to follow through. Unlike ARC readers...

Face it, I've just got nothin' going on right now. Today's not a writing day, so I'm killing time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment