Saturday, March 2, 2024

Refocusing


Viewing my Google Analytics awakened me to the deficiencies of our band's website. Not that updating it will suddenly draw visitors, but I pride myself on doing a professional job, and this one fell short. We're a recording band, not a performing one, and thus we don't have band pictures. We certainly never paid for professional photos, because why? But I don't like not knowing what a person looks like, be it an entertainer or an author. Seeing their face personalizes them. So, that's a quandary. 

I'm pondering all this because I need a new focus in my life. I'm taking a break from writing due to multiple setbacks I experienced this week ~ not that I'm going to flat-out quit, but I do need time to process it all.

So now I'm going to work on improving my band site. It'll present a challenge, one that doesn't require any interaction, and it's a good way to pass the time.

When I paid to have two digital CD's created, I needed to design album covers, but the ones I came up with are pretty lousy. That's not like me. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's creating covers. Maybe it was a mood thing. Or I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I was designing them. The official covers won't change ~ they're on Spotify and can't be modified ~ but I can certainly create new ones for our website. 

And I have to do something about the track listings. Blogger doesn't allow direct selling ~ well, that can't be true. Let's just say I haven't figured out how to do it. So all I can do right now is link our music to Amazon. But dang, the track listings on our site look amateurish. There must be a more enticing layout than what I have. One advantage our now defunct Wix site had was the ability to sample and purchase tracks directly. The disadvantage, and why I dropped it, was because we had no visitors and I was tired of paying a monthly hosting fee for zero return.

The funny thing is, we gets lots of spins on Spotify. So it's not as if no one appreciates our music. But it's near impossible to draw visitors to a site. Period. Unless you're some big name like....I don't know, Morgan Wallen? nobody cares. People may like spinning your music, but not so much that they're itching to know more about you. 

Speaking of "knowing more about you", our bio could certainly stand improvement. I'm a writer (so-called), so I should be able to pen something better. 

As you can see, I have some work ahead of me. I'm grateful for that. I need to pull myself out of these doldrums somehow.


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment